Tuesday, March 16, 2010

THE MEANING OF LIFE AND LOVING GOD

How do I find meaning in life?

Statistics indicate that over one billion people visit the Internet each day. Of these, at least a million are searching for answers to the deeper questions of life: Why am I here? What is my purpose? What is God like? A phrase that is frequently used by those exploring such deeper issues is "the meaning of life."

Gratefully, the Bible helps us understand that life's meaning is rooted in a unique friendship. Billy Graham says, "It is the greatest discovery you will ever make: You were created to know God and be His friend forever" (The Journey, p. 23).

A key to understanding how you can be God's friend is to know you were created with more than a body, mind and soul. You were created with a spirit. Your human spirit was awakened when you were born again, enabling you to communicate directly with God and have fellowship with Him. The Apostle Paul says we "received the spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, ‘Abba, Father'" (Romans 8:15). "Abba" literally means "Daddy."

The heart of every person deeply longs for true friendship. Think about your best friends and how important those relationships are. Yet human friendships can and do fail. This became very real to me recently when the twenty-one year old son of a close friend tragically took his own life. The reason? The young man's closest friend, a classmate he had known for several years, stated firmly he no longer wished to continue the friendship. The loss was so devastating to my friend's son that life lost its meaning to him, and he completely gave up.

Even though friends on this earth may come and go, in God you have a friend Who will be there forever. Graham says further: "This is a staggering truth. Think of it. The infinite, all-powerful holy God of the universe wants to be your friend! He wants you to know him personally. He wants you to know He is with you. He wants to comfort you when you are upset or anxious. He wants to guide you when you face difficult decisions, and He even wants to correct you when you are about to do something foolish or wrong" (p. 31).

Take a moment now to let this profound reality sink in. You were created to be God's friend. This reflects the enormous heart of your wonderful Lord! What a privilege to be one of His children, to be able to come to Him any time, day or night, to be completely open with Him, to share your most intimate thoughts and fears.

Key ScriptureI no longer call you servants ... but friends (John 15:15).
Key ThoughtThe real meaning of my life is to know God and to be His friend forever.


LOVING GOD


How do I respond to God?

From the moment we begin to grasp just how much God loves us, a deep desire wells up within us to love Him in return.

Suppose as you were walking in a dense forest, you strayed off the path and lost your way. Night falls and it becomes dark and cold. You have no food or water. Danger lurks from forest animals. You frantically stumble ahead in the darkness, with no sense of direction. Fear gnaws at you: "I may never make it back to safety."

Just as all hope is fading, your frantic eyes see a dim light in the distance. Suddenly you realize, "Someone is searching for me!" The light grows brighter. It's coming your way. You call out, "Here I am!" The reply comes back: "Keep calling!" Moments later your rescuer appears in the unmistakable uniform of a forest ranger -- one who knows the deep woods and the way home. By the dim light, you study his kind and fatherly face. Steadily he leads you back. As the ranger delivers you to your doorstep, he says, "You're safe now." In sheer relief you respond in the only way you can -- with profound gratitude. "How can I ever repay you?" you ask, knowing no payment could ever suffice.

In the very same way our heavenly Father has rescued us. Our condition was more desperate than we could ever know. We couldn't make it on our own. We were groping frantically in complete darkness when He came and personally guided us home. He redeemed us from deadly peril.

Perhaps the Apostle John had such a sense of gratitude when he declared, "We love Him because He first loved us" (1 John 4:19).

It would not be unusual for you to be harboring distorted images of what your heavenly Father is like. I've had many false images myself -- at different times a "higher power" or a stern judge to be feared. But once I saw His unconditional love for me, a love unaffected by who I was and all I had done, my heart was able to say, "Father, I love you." Amazingly, God not only loves us -- He actually created us so we can love Him in return.

How deeply should we love God? Jesus, who knew the Father intimately, said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength" (Mark 12:30). All our faculties come into play. "All" leaves nothing out. Loving the Father to that degree continues to stretch me, for it means giving all that I am to the One who gave His all for me.

My heart swells -- and I believe so does God's -- when I spontaneously lavish my love upon Him, expressing my affection and gratitude to Him.



Key ScriptureAt that time you were without Christ ... having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ (Ephesians 2:12,13).

Key ThoughtI will let these words come easily and often: "Lord, I love You."

No comments:

Post a Comment